Download the XTERRA Boards Manual (PDF) here.
Download the XTERRA Boards Refund Form (PDF) here.
View the rest of our "How-To's" here
Here are some Frequently Asked Questions. Feel free to write us - email@example.com - if you have any other questions.
- Why XTERRA Boards?
- What's the XTERRA brand?
- What's the XTERRA BOARDS brand?
- What is the XTERRA board designed for?
- How long will my board stay inflated and how durable is it?
- How much does my board weigh?
- How much can I weigh?
- What to look for in an inflatable SUP package
- Where are your boards designed and made, and have you been there?
- What are the benefits of an inflatable SUP?
- What is your Guarantee and Warranty
- How do I repair a tear?
- Are lifejackets or inflatable PFDs mandatory?
- What's the difference between a 4 inch thick board and a 5.5 inch board?
- Will the sun damage my board?
- What's my board look like inside?
Why XTERRA BOARDS?
There are about a dozen inflatable stand up paddleboard companies that we think are decent, and about 3 or 4 that we think make quality boards. So, why choose us? Here are a few reasons:
- Quality - we make the best inflatable stand up paddleboard on the market. We use the best materials and the best factory.
- Price - we sell direct to customers. We are the manufacturer, the distributor, and the retailer. By cutting out the middlemen we are able to offer you the highest quality boards at the best price.
- Guarantee - we provide a 30-day money-back guarantee. Test our board for 30 days and if you are not completely satisfied return it for a full refund of the price you paid for the board and product (not the shipping costs).
- U.S.-based - we're based in the United States, we test our boards here, we live here, we ship the boards to you from here, our showroom is here, and our customer service is here.
- Pride - we love our boards and we love our brand. We make very few products so that we can be the best at what we do.
- Warranty - we provide a 1-year warranty on all manufacturing defects, and a 5-year free repair kit.
What is your Guarantee and Warranty?
Guarantee - we offer a 30-day guarantee that if you are not completely satisfied with your package you can return it to us for a full refund of the purchase price of the product plus sales tax (if any). You don't have to tell us why. "Just because" will do. You can inflate the board and test it out. Paddle around, enjoy the water. Please return it in a like-new/slightly-used condition with no tears or signs of abuse. You are responsible for the return shipping.
Warranty - All XTERRA BOARDS are fully warranted to the original owner against defects in materials and workmanship. We offer a 5-year warranty on repairs in that we'll send you patch kit material for 5-years after the purchase of your board. For the repairs, we've provided you with videos on how to make a repair. So long as the tear is not from clear abuse and not larger than 4 inches, we'll send you all the materials needed to make the repair.
IMPORTANT - Please read the finer details about our Warranty below.
COMMERCIAL & RETAIL - Please read the details in our Warranty below.
SHIPPING - you are responsible for the shipping back to us.
What's the brand:
XTERRA was "born on the beach" on Maui in 1996 with an off-road triathlon competitors. XTERRA was created as a fun & challenging event to promote Maui, and has since grown to a endurance brand with over 250 events, in over 20 countries, with a complete line-up of endurance products including independent licensees (independent companies) XTERRA GEAR, XTERRA WETSUITS, XTERRA FITNESS, XTERRA BOARDS, and others. Tens of thousands of people have competed in XTERRA events world-wide, and perhaps you can watch these events on-line (www.xterra.tv) or on your local TV.
The XTERRA brand has earned a stellar reputation and appeal to the active lifestyle market all over the world. The XTERRA brand is anchored in adventure, outdoors, and endurance. XTERRA is both a sport and a lifestyle, giving the opportunity to everyone to get outside and just try to have some fun.
What's the XTERRA BOARDS brand:
We began SUPing on Catalina Island in 1974. Back then, just off Pleasure Pier, they rented paddleboards. Most people sat on them and paddled around the harbor in Avalon. Those of us with a little surf or skateboard background figured out quickly that the long wooden boards were just stable enough to stand up and paddle.
We came to realize that hard (epoxy) boards were not ideal for transportation and just getting on the water. So, after some time - see "Our Story" - we created the ultimate all-around inflatable stand up paddleboard.
What is the XTERRA board designed for?
Cruising - Lakes, rivers, streams, oceans.
Surfing - waves 4 feet or smaller (best for our 10' boards, not our 12'6" touring boards). We've done bigger waves, but don't recommend it.
Playing - kids love jumping off and on the boards.
How long will my board stay inflated and how durable is it?
We have a fleet of inflatable SUP boards that we keep inflated for months. They never seem to lose much air, though we'll give them an extra dozen pumps every month or so when headed out onto the water. Please keep them out of the sun.
Many people choose to inflate and deflate their boards each time they go out. That's the beauty of the boards - they inflate and deflate quickly, and they store nicely in our car or garage. It takes about four (4) minutes to fully inflate your board using our high-quality pump. Please note that if you are inflating and deflating the board a lot the deck pad edges may need a little glue (provided in your repair kit).
Some people deflate their board slightly, folding it in thirds and storing on a shelf in their garage. That way, inflation takes half the time - 2 minutes. This is entirely up to you.
As for durability, we've had them fall off the roof while driving on the road (done on purpose) and driven our cars over them (done on purpose). We've left them on lava rocks (not a good idea) while our kids washed off and then proceeded to use it as a trampoline. We've used it as a trampoline out in the yard. We backed into it with our car when it should have been put away first.
How much does my board weigh?
Your board weighs about 28 pounds. There are boards that weigh less, but they very likely are not reinforced on both sides. The typical epoxy SUP board weighs 28 to 45 pounds.
How much can I weigh?
We've tested the board to a single person weighing 250 pounds. The board must be pumped to 15 psi (our recommended pressure).
What to look for in an inflatable stand up paddleboard (iSUP) package?
BOARD - length, width and thickness considerations. All three reflect the volume and stability of the board. Volume keeps you above the water. Stability keeps you from tipping over. For an all-around board you should be looking for a length of 9'6" to 10'6". For width, we recommend 29" to 32". For thickness, we recommend 5" to 6" except for lighter riders (under 175 lbs). Within this range you'll find the ideal board for the average person so long as the board can be inflated to 15 psi. We do make high-quality 4" boards from time to time, and these are designed for lighter riders.
PSI - pounds per square inch, or, more accurately, pound-force per square inch is a unit of pressure that is important for inflatable stand up paddleboards. A board that is not manufactured to handle at least 15 psi may not be as sturdy and durable as you want.
REINFORCEMENT - a board that is not reinforced will warp (twist) a lot when inflated above the manufactured PSI level. Further, the reinforcement is another layer of protection from sharp objects. The top and bottom should be reinforced, and the rails should be taped for extra reinforcement. A slight twist is acceptable and will not effect your riding on the water.
PUMP - without air your board isn't going to get inflated. It will take you longer and take more effort to inflate your board with a cheaper pump. Also, a cheaper pump's handle is more likely to break when you're trying to get in that last bit of air.
FINS - three fins is the ideal number of fins for a cruising board. The two outer fins, closest to the sides, should be smaller and made of flexible rubber or removable. The center fin is key, and should be about twice as long as the outer fins unless you are SUPing in shallow water. The center fin should be easily removable without tools regardless of whether the board is inflated or deflated. Otherwise, you're scrambling for tools and/or having to deflate the board after inflating it because you forgot. Most touring boards only come with a center fin.
PADDLE - the ideal iSUP paddle should be 2 or 3 pieces that can collapse (or come apart) such that they can fit into your backpack. Reinforced aluminium is fine, but carbon is better for the shaft. The blade should be fiberglass or industrial plastic. The downside to a carbon blade is that it can nick or crack easier. The blade should be a tear drop shape. We make a three-piece for the convenience of travel. Invest in a 1-piece if you're paddling all the time. If you are going to be paddling frequently consider upgrading to a carbon or lighter 1-piece paddle.
Where are your boards designed and made, and have you been there?
Our boards are designed in San Diego, California. They are tested in salt and fresh water, on rivers, lakes, streams and oceans.
Our boards are made in China. The material comes primarily from South Korea (they make the best drop-stitch material - which is 90% of your board) and China.
Yes, we have visited our factories, as well as many of the factories used by our competition. The employees who make our boards are very experienced and skilled, which is one of the reason we chose this factory. We visit Asia at least three times a year, and inspect the entire production process, meet with employees, and lunch with employees.
What are the benefits of an inflatable SUP over and Epoxy/EPS/hard board?
Storage - you can roll up your board and fit it into a backpack (we give you one) or in the back of your car. It rolls up to about 1 1/2 feet in diameter, and 32" wide. The boards are ideal for storage in your boat or car, and we've even gone to the beach on our bike with the board on our back.
Transportation - your board can be thrown into a backpack and then thrown on your back. Then, you can walk to the water without lugging a huge epoxy board. You don't need a roof rack. You don't need to use this carrier (though, we think it's pretty cool if you own a hard board):
Durability - our boards don't get dings or crack. If you are SUPing and bump into a boat or another board you easily bounce off. Unlike some of the competition, we have added a layer of material (double reinforcement) that allows you to literally accidentally drive over your board or throw it off a cliff with little damage. We don't recommend this and you can see us do it in a video on Youtube.
Softer - kids love playing on the boards, jumping around or from board to board. We've gotten as many as 10 kids on our board while goofing off on Catalina Island in the harbor and in Mission Bay, San Diego.
What is your Guarantee and Warranty?
Guarantee - we offer a 30-day guarantee that if you are not completely satisfied with your package you can return it to us for a full refund of the cost of the board (not the shipping cost). You don't have to tell us why. "Just because" will do. You can inflate the board and test it out. Please return it in a like-new/slightly-used condition with no tears or signs of abuse. You are responsible for the return shipping.
All XTERRA BOARDS are fully warranted to the original owner against defects in materials and workmanship.
When does my 30-day test period begin? - It begins the day after you receive your board.
What if the package is a gift, when does the period begin? - We're going to be flexible here SO LONG AS you write us at
firstname.lastname@example.org within seven (7) days of placing your order.
- we offer a 1-year warranty from the original date of purchase to the original owner against defects in materials and workmanship.
- we reserve the right to receive your board back (at your cost) and repair your board (at our cost)
- clear abuse is not a valid warranty. For example, if you run over your board and blow the seams out this is not a valid warranty. Your board can probably be repaired, but we reserve the right to give you an estimated cost and have you pay that amount. Also, if you drag your board then it will be damaged and is not covered by the warranty.
- We offer a 5-year warranty on repairs in that we'll send you patch kit material for 5-years after the purchase of your board. For the repairs, we've provided you with videos on how to make a repair. So long as the tear is not from clear abuse and not larger than 4 inches, we'll send you all the materials needed to make the repair.
EXCLUSIONS - XTERRA BOARDS' limited warranty excludes the following:
- boards and accessories that show impact or abuse, damage due to heat or sun exposure, including but not limited to direct sun exposure and leaving in a hot vehicle.
- Boards and accessories with signs of improper care or handling.
- Incidental damage.
- Unreasonable use.
- Driving over the board with a vehicle. Dragging your board over rocks or lava, on the street or road.
- Peeling of the deck pad or separation of the deck pad from the board. NOTE - this is a repair that can be made with glue.
RENTAL COMPANIES & FLEET SALES
- Any order of four (4) units or more constitutes a rental or fleet sale. If you are a rental company or fleet company, any order above one (1) unit constitutes a rental or fleet sale.
- All rental or fleet sales must abide by our XTERRA BOARDS FLEET SALES AND RENTAL TERMS which you are responsible for receiving and approving. Your order of boards from our company constitutes your agreement and approval to the TERMS.
- We offer a 14-day return on unused boards only. All RETURNS must be made within 14-days provided that they have not been used. Once used and rented out they are not returnable. Companies are encouraged to purchase one (1) board and test it out for themselves. Please return the board as delivered in a new condition. The 14-day guarantee begins the day the board is delivered to you.
- WARRANTY- There is no warranty on commercial and/or rental use. For repairs, we have provided you with videos on how to make a repair. So long as the tear is not from clear abuse and not larger than four inches, we'll send you all the materials needed to make the repair.
How do I repair a tear?
Here's a little video we did: http://snapguide.com/guides/repair-an-inflatable-stand-up-paddleboard-isup
Are lifejackets or inflatable PDF (iPFD - personal floatation devices) mandatory?
Assume YES, unless you know otherwise. State and local governments, or municipal lakes, are starting to post signs that tell you when you need to wear lifejackets. It's becoming very common for kayakers on the ocean, and don't be surprised if your favorite spot tells you its the law.
We provide bungy cords on the bow of your board to hold your lifejacket or iPFD (see photo above). The laws don't usually require you to wear them, only that you have them on board.
Is a 4 inch thick board adequate?
Sometimes - when you weigh 175 pounds or less PLUS have a good pump.
When looking at a 4" board there are a lot of options, and you have to be mindful to buy from a well-established brand who doesn't cut corners and makes their 4" to the same standard as their thicker boards.
VOLUME - The thickness of your board makes all the difference in the world because it determines the amount of air (volume) you can put in your board. Air rises, so the more air you have in your board the higher it will rise out of the water.
PRESSURE - If you do not have a good pump it becomes very difficult to put in enough air into your board. The more air you can put into your board - measured by your pressure gauge - the better.
Most 4 inch thick boards have one of two problems: (1) the material and seams can't handle higher pressure (psi) like 12 to 15 psi; and/or (2) the pump provided is inadequate to reach these psi. If your board is not inflated enough it will sag in the middle, making for a miserable day on the water. Or, if you weigh too much it will sag in the middle.
A 5.5" to 6" board, even if pumped to only 10 psi, has enough volume (air) such that it won't sag that much. This may occur if you have an average pump. If you have a good pump, you'll be able to inflate your board to about 15 psi which will give you a stable and fully inflated board.
NOTE ABOUT XTERRA's 4" boards - We recognize all the issues we mention above, and therefore only make 4" boards with the highest-quality drop stitch (so you can pump it to 15 psi, the best pump (so you can get to that pressure), and the same high-quality construction as our other boards. Our 4" boards are a little lighter than our thicker boards, and a little more maneuverable (you can surf on them).
WILL THE SUN DAMAGE MY BOARD?
YES. This is true for all boards, both epoxy/hard, soft-tops and inflatables.
The sun will damage most anything left in the sun for prolonged periods of time. In the case of your board, if left out in the sun other than when you are boarding, the sun will fade your deck pad (so it turns from red to pink), cause the rails to bubble at the seams (while we have not seen this on our boards, it can happen), cause the glue on the deck pad to melt, and the logo on the bow can bubble (we've seen this happen).
If you've inflated your board and it's just sitting out on the sand or beach or grass, drape a towel over it. Or, put it under some shade.
The inside of your board:
If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to write us - email@example.com or write us on our CONTACT US page.
Call us directly at (858) 256-7179.
Our mailing address is:
7810 Trade St., Suite 200, San Diego, CA 92121